Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My mornings

If you ask my parents, they would probably tell you've I've always been a morning person - from the minute I was born. Even in high school and college, I rarely slept in too late. I was always afraid I was going to miss something.

I was shockingly introduced to the schedule of babies back in 2004 at the birth of Tyler. That boy never slept past 7am until he was over 2 1/2, unless he was sick. He was just beginning to sleep past 7 occasionally, and then Connor was born.

Holy Good Morning.

Connor went through a phase when he wanted to be up and at 'em at 4:30am. We finally made it through that and moved into the radomness of getting up anywhere between 5am and 6am - this includes weekends. (Another rude awakening - you cannot train a baby to "sleep in" on the weekends like you want to.)

Connor is just over 2 now, and Tyler is nearing 5. They are getting a little bit more predictable now, if there is such a thing. Their bedroom routines are nailed, and you can generally expect to sleep in until at least 6am, and we've been lucky the past couple of weekends and got until 7am.

All of that being said - I started getting up during the week at 5am back in 2004 when I went back to work after having Tyler, in order to ensure that I was fully ready for work, before anyone woke up. I tried a couple of times to get ready with someone either a) playing on the floor, b) sitting on the sink or c) "watching a show". Those didn't work so well. I said 5am it is, and that has been my schedule. (Okay, you got me, sometimes I push snooze once or twice, depending on hard of a night it was...)

Now, out of habit, my alarm still goes off at 5am, during the week. I'm out of bed within the next 15 minutes, and ready to go at about 5:50. Then the morning is MINE.

This is what this all came around to. I love having the quiet mornings all to myself in the house. Since people are sleeping in, I usually get a half hour (or sometimes more if I'm lucky) of pure quiet. Silence. And being able to do whatever I want.

Being the simple person that I am, that usually includes getting on the computer, checking Facebook, blogs, sometimes logging into work, and anything else that needs to be done including folding laundry sometimes, picking up the kitchen, etc.

These times are very therapeutic for me. Nights are quiet too, but sorry Kyle, sometimes you talk too much. Or the Golf Channel in on the background. That is just not quiet the same. It's not quiet as relaxing when someone is following you around saying, "We have to pay the bills tonight." and "You should probably bring your lunch the rest of the week so I don't have to donate a kidney."

These mornings are awesome. I can mentally prepare for my day, for the week, for anything that needs to be done, and just enjoy the time, just being with me. I love it!

No comments: