Thursday, August 6, 2009

I'm getting a divorce......from my daycare

I knew this wouldn't be easy, but I didn't realize it would be this difficult..... we're leaving our daycare after being there for over 4.5 years.

I remember the day...we started on January 2, 2005. Kyle brought Tyler to his first day of daycare because I knew I wouldn't be able to do it. Tyler had a difficult time at first, because he wasn't the easiest baby. Holy Lord - that kid wanted one on one attention, and wanted it constantly. The ladies at daycare figured out how to work with Tyler, hold him, feed him, play with him, etc., and helped mold him into the person he is today...

That brings us to now. I think our daycare is having financial issues. There have been so many red flags, and things that make you go "hmmmm?", if you know what I mean. This includes, but is not limited to:

1) The computer at the front door being "temporarily out of service" for the last 2 months. This computer controls the security door which has been overridden (which means the front door is open to anyone) for the last two months also.

2) Me asking for our flex spending statement a few weeks ago and getting told, "Um, okay, I'll see what I can do.", then getting a note the next day saying she was 'trying' to recreate it, and would have to call the owner. A week later it appeared in Tyler's cubby with a note saying "I tried to recreate this with what I had, I hope it's correct because I couldn't get ahold of the owner. Let me know if anything is wrong." It was wrong. The lady that is currently the Director of the Center, doesn't know what she's charging me for daycare, and couldn't get ahold of the owner.

3) The true owner stepped down about three months ago to spend more time with her girls (she has 5 girls under 12), but would still remain around in an "advisory mode". Don't know what this means, but we haven't seen her all summer.

4) A bake sale a few weeks ago to buy new toys for the kids to play with outside. Talk about break my heart. I have to buy baked goods in order for my kids to have decent toys to play with outside?

5) I heard, second hand, that one of the vans broke down when bringing the kids home from a baseball game field trip. Since no one told the parents or bothered to notify anyone, one of the parents called DHS. They have been all over our daycare checking to see if there is reliable transportation for the kids.

There have been other things, but they are minor if you look at each thing individually. Look at them all together, and a story starts to come together.

Although I know we need to do this, it's REALLY hard. I've known these women since Tyler started, and they practically raised our children. Spending 50 hours a week with them, when I see them for a couple hours at night, and the weekends. They taught Tyler how to write his name and the alphabet, and pretty much potty trained him.

I feel like this is a divorce. We know we have to part ways because we just don't work together, but we still have many good memories together. And it hurts.

We've found a great new daycare. Beautiful facility that is clean, certified teachers, doesn't close on snow days (TOTAL BONUS!), and has a large gym for the kids to play in when the weather isn't nice outside. This daycare is definitely run like a successful business.

I have a feeling there is going to be a lot more tears about this decision, and those would be mine. I have boxes and boxes of crafts and artwork that the boys have done while in this daycare. I have pictures that the ladies sent home that they took of the boys playing with friends, or the time Tyler fell asleep in his highchair. I think I will cry every time I look in that box from now on.

Those women that have taken care of our kids are amazing. I would like to bring every one of them with we, but I just can't stay there because I like the staff - there has to be some safety and security, and knowing that when I drive up tomorrow there won't be a "closed" sign on the door.

I know this is the right decision that needs to be made now, but it still is breaking my heart.

2 comments:

Ashley Breuer said...

Jenny you are doing the right thing. We had to do the same thing with Callie's old daycare last year and while I wasn't sad to leave the place I was so sad to see what it did to Callie. Her whole world was turned upside down and she was only a year old. Now we have her in a Bright Horizons center and I can't tell you how great they are with her and there has never been anything said or done to make me think we didn't make the right decision. In the long run it will be better for your family :)

loren said...

That makes me so sad, thinking of all the memories they've made there, but you don't want to overstay those good times and end up with bad memories... know what I mean?

I'm glad you found a better place :)