Sunday, August 2, 2009

I was meant to have boys

This weekend was one of the weekends that could easily become a test of my sanity, or my insanity. Kyle golfed in the local City Amateur tournament, which meant he was gone more than he was home. It actually turned out to be a wonderful weekend, because what I've found after "needing" to spend time with my boys, that I get a much better glimpse into their life, and into their souls.

While at my parents yesterday, I was scolding them because they were getting to close to the river. (The Mississippi will just sweep you away!) Instead of continuing to yell, I took them down to the river to appeal to their curiosity. We watched the water, looked at dead fish (yuck!) and picked up shells. It was beautiful.

Today we spent almost every waking moment outside. I have always loved the outside, so as they laughed and played in their pool, I sat in the sun in a lounge chair, and soaked it all in - both their happiness and the sun.

I hate bugs, but today we found some cicada that were barely alive. We caught them in a bucket, and watched their huge bodies climb around. Tyler is almost as scared of them as I am, but he has such a curiosity for everything, it's fun to watch his face. I wish I always carried a camera with me.

Tyler asked me to swim with him in his pool. Keep in mind, I haven't worn a swimsuit since last summer, but I did. I got on my new swimsuit that I bought this summer, ripped the tags off, and jumped in the freezing cold pool. We played, splashed, and I finally got out when I was turning blue. Tyler had such a blast with both of us in the pool.

We played in the dirt today. I pulled weeds, and Tyler helped water my flowers. Connor followed us around and mostly observed. He is as fascinated with Tyler, as I am sometimes.

I love to spend the day watching them work. And by work, I mean think. Their reaction to the world, and their happiness with every minute of me.

And at night - the rougher we play the better. They love the "tickle monster" the best. Their giggles just pierce through your heart, and will sit in my memory of these happy times, forever.

No comments: