Monday, March 22, 2010

Tyler in college

I had the opportunity to spend a few minutes alone with Tyler today. That rarely happens, but the conversations we have are priceless...

Tonight we had to go to downtown Iowa City, and whenever we go into Iowa City, I explain to him what the University of Iowa is, and how he can go to college there someday if he wants to - and then, try explaining to a 5 year old what a "dorm" is. It's not as easy as it sounds.

"Mommy, I don't want to go to college when I'm 8." He said.

"Tyler, you don't have to go to college when you're 8, but 18, if you want." I told him.

The conversation then proceeded, and got a bit deeper...

"Mommy, but I don't want to go to college, because I don't want to live in a home without you, and I don't want you to forget about me."

(insert my breaking heart here....)

"Tyler, I would never forget you, even if you go to college. By that time, you'll have a cell phone, and you can call me whenever you want." I tell him.

"What's your phone number, Mom?" He asked. "I can call you every day then? Here, write your phone number down on this piece of paper" he told me, and found a scrap piece of paper in the back seat.

"Yes, you can call me every day" I told him. "You could even text me if you want to."

"Can you show me how to text?" he said. "I will text you every day to tell you that I love you."

Wow, Tyler. You never cease to amaze me, and really hope you can follow through with that promise, in about 13 years!

No comments: