Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tyler & the Gum Factory

I haven't had much to say lately... Probably because I'm busy enough that I just don't have time for a whole lot of much, and because I've been busy helping Tyler find a job.

Yes, Tyler informed me on Sunday night that he wasn't interested in going back to daycare anymore, and would like to get a job.

"Do they have any jobs where you work, Mommy?", he asked me.

I almost jumped on this idea, thinking that I'm sure I could find some farm or carnival somewhere that would love a strong 4, almost 5 year old boy to help them... but then (what's left of) my better judgement kicked in, and unless I wanted him to be the "winner" that was running the run-down motorcycle ride at the Johnson County Fair, it would be best for him to stay in school.

And maybe it's also a good idea because he thinks we just make gum at the place where I work.

Sometimes I'll stop at the vending machine on the way out and spend 40 cents on a pack of gum for the boys. This brings them ultimate joy when I pick them up, and always makes for a wonderful ride home. Because Tyler knows I get this gum at work, he thinks we also make it there.

As we continued our conversation, I encouraged Tyler to stay in Preschool, because we a) don't get recess at work, b) they don't give us enough time to color (unless you're in a really boring meeting), and c) we don't get field trips, unless they are to visit extremely difficult suppliers.

He was okay with that response, and actually went to daycare without tears this week - especially when he found that some of his favorite teachers from Lit'l Russellers were going to be at his new daycare. I almost cried when I saw Amber and Roly myself. They have been awesome with our kids - and now get to continue!

So, unfortunately I will not be breaking any child labor laws anytime soon. Although, if the craziness in the evenings (since it is getting darker earlier) is any indication of what we will be getting this winter with the boys, I will GIVE them both to the carnival!

1 comment:

Trish said...

I had to give that same 'school is your job' sermon to my boys until they graduated from college and got the job. :) But it is true that school is a hard job, especially when they have to start so young. Your boys are doing great given the circumstances and it shows how bright your son is that he came up with this solution for a situation he didn't want to stay in. Hang in there Jenny. We're all for you.