Monday, November 9, 2009

The Family Picture

(In order to get the full effect of this story, you must read it like you are moving in fast motion - which is what I was doing during this whole episode...)

We decided to finally take our first family picture. Our first family picture with the four of us, and actually, the first "professional" picture I've had taken since 2006, and that one was by accident. (I took Tyler to get his pictures taken, and they got me in a few.)

I was so proud of myself. I had actually planned ahead. We were all wearing sweaters of some kind, mine and Ty's was green, Connor had Navy Blue, and Kyle had brown. Since we were taking these pictures outside, I was going for solid colors, that look more natural. I had purchased the boys sweaters for their school pictures, Kyle already had his, and mine I bought Thursday night - nearly 48 hours before pictures were to be taken! I was on top of it, or so I thought....

Saturday morning Kyle asked what we were all wearing (I thought we had this conversation already!). As I told him, he looked at me and said "No, no, no.... we have to all wear the same color - if you walk into anyone's house with a family picture, if they have on different colored clothes is just looks funny!". And I believe him. He spends all day, every day, in other people's houses helping them get prepared to move - so he knows what he's talking about there.

I quickly throw on a sweatshirt and hat (not having showered) and head to the store. As I'm leaving, Kyle asks "Which one are you taking with you?", which means, which kid... This frustrates me because I can move 5 times faster by myself, but I ask Tyler and he declines me. Connor wants to go. Fantastic.

We head to the mall. If I'm going to find matching clothes for the boys, of course Old Navy would have that. We arrive at the mall at 9:15 to find it.... closed. The only store open was JC Penny, which had nothing. We wasted time around the mall until 10am (even wasting time in Barnes & Noble playing with their Thomas the Train set), because I knew Old Navy would have what we need. Nope. Nada. Zilch. Nothing that I would even have my boys photographed in. Dang it.

We then head to Kohl's. Time check - it's 10:30, pictures are at 1:30 in Cedar Rapids. I have to move quick, but things should be okay..... until.... I find nothing. I find a sweater in Tyler's size, but they don't have it in Connor's size. All sorts of red and green sweaters (we're wearing brown), but I couldn't find a darn thing. Nothing for me, or the boys. By this time, Connor is done shopping. By done, I mean literally, done. Crying and whining and just exhausted/hungry/bored. I leave a cart with things that might work towards the front of the store. "I'll be back...." I said to myself.

I drive home, like a maniac. I literally skid into the driveway, hop out of the car, and literally throw Connor at Kyle.

"I'VE GOT TO GO - BE HOME SOON!", and I jetted off to the store. By this time, I would've paid $100 for a good sweater, and heck - even $500 for a set.

I did end up finding a sweater for Connor and myself at one store, then headed back to Kohl's again to find the pants that would match a sweater for Tyler, and guess what?!?! They were gone. The cart that I had left at the front of the store was gone, along with the clothes. They must've put them in the stack of "to be put away" clothes, because I never did see them. I ended up finding something similar, and sprinting to the front of the store.

We got home, got dressed and headed to the park in the car. The whole picture taking event took about 20 minutes. Neither boy had napped, and was only in the mood to climb in the trees/leaves, and was not interested at all in stopping to smile at a camera.

I hope to God those pictures turn out okay. With my luck, I'll have a leaf stuck in my hair, or a big booger hanging from the boy's nose. I'll post them when I can - and you'd better like brown!

No comments: