Saturday, June 5, 2010

The first lost tooth

It all started earlier this week.  Tyler said his tooth was loose, which is what he had been telling us for months.  Apparently, most of his friends at daycare had started loosing teeth, and Tyler, not to be one left behind, starting to make fictitious loose teeth in his mouth.

This past week he started  talking about his "loose tooth" more and more, and I finally checked.  Sure enough, his bottom front tooth (the first tooth that came in as a baby) had become loose.

By today, it was so loose, it was gross.  I can do poop, and I can do puke, and just about anything else that can happen to a child, but I can't do loose teeth.  Oh. my. goodness.  It gives me the heebey-jeevies like no other.  Yuck.

All day long, Tyler played with this tooth.  A couple times he asked me to pull it out for him, which in my attempt to even touch anywhere close to his lip, had him laying in a lump on the floor totally terrified that he would experience the most pain ever.  So, I left it alone (which was TOTALLY okay with me!).  Knowing Tyler, this was NOT going to come with an excessive amount of drama.  He is our Drama King.

Tonight while sitting outside, he must've finally had enough of it wiggling around in his mouth.  (It was so loose, it makes me cringe to think about it right now.  It was wobbly and wiggly and just plain , yucky!).  He finally pulled it out.  It was a totally, non-climatic event.  And now he lays in his bed, asleep, with his tooth in a sandwich bag in hopes that the tooth fairy will bring him $150.  Seriously, that is what he told me right before he went to sleep.  I told him not to be too disappointed, because if she started giving out $150 per tooth, I might start knocking my own teeth out.

But my little baby Tyler is growing up.  Soon his adult teeth will be coming through, and while sitting with the neighbors tonight, I got a glimpse into the teenage drama we will have yet to endure as well.  Some days time seems to move at a snails pace, and sometimes, it moves way too fast, and I can envision cars and girlfriends and college. 

Although I love the fact that every day they are a little bit more independent, a little bit bigger, and litter bit closer to that goal of adulthood that they both seem to posses, it still makes me a little sad.

Such a little tooth, but such a big milestone. 

No comments: