Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Love them more

Sometimes our evenings are a bit more difficult than others.  Tonight was one of those...

Connor had a bad night from nearly the minute he stepped out of the car.  He didn't talk, he just whined.  And if he wasn't whining, he was crying, and if he wasn't crying, it was an all out tantrum.  It was difficult.  It was one of those nights where I could've just totally lost it, but somehow managed to keep it together.

On nights like tonight, I find myself even more intrigued when I got to check on them in bed.  After a night of nearly wanting to give them away to the next passing car, I find that my love for them grows.  It's so hard to be a little boy, and follow rules and directions, and just do what you don't want to do, when you don't want to ever ever do it.

As I checked on them in their beds tonight, I paused a little bit longer over them.  Tyler is usually buried in his pillow so deep that you have to actually find him in his bed.  I adjusted his blankets so he would be comfortable, then kissed his head.  He gets so warm in his covers, and I always stop to think if I should leave the ceiling fan on or not. 

When I checked on Connor, he was totally passed out on his back, as he usually is.  I just stopped and studied him as he slept, watching his chest rise and fall, and watch how he had his "rag" (an old burp rag that he seriously uses as a blanket) tucked into his neck (which is how he usually falls asleep), with his puppy laying next to him, having been apparently tucked in by Connor himself.  I studied his tan face and hair that keeps getting blonder every day.  He looks like a little beach boy now.  How could that cute little face have given me such fits just hours before?

I find on nights like tonight, I just love them even more.  And then when I look through pictures like these, they make me laugh.  These boys are just awesome, and make me smile every day.

 Connor sitting next to the pool. 

Don't let him fool you, he is not innocent at all...

Here is the entire "gang" in the pool.  Chase is the neighbor boy who is 13, but really a little boy at heart, still.  He loves to come over and play with the boys, and especially their toys!

Tyler's stunt of jumping into the pool from a running start.  I think he did this nearly 100 times!

Connor, of course, has to copy Tyler.  He did a running leap too, and loved it!

But my favorite picture from the weekend is this one.  Tyler had dug a hole that is about a foot deep, and put his cones (that are usually used for soccer or as bases for a baseball game) to put around the hole so no one would fall in.  I laughed so hard when I saw this, and didn't see him do it.  I guess Tyler even thinks "Safety First" sometimes.  What a hoot!

No comments: