Monday, June 9, 2008

The Birds

Sunday was just like any other day. Another yucky, rainy day, but a Sunday none-the-less. Sunday is our typical "catch up" day around home where all of the laundry gets finished, dishes all done, and hopefully at least a little cleaning gets accomplished.

We had a birthday party to go to in the afternoon, and I still hadn't wrapped the presents. When I went to wrap them, I realized I was out of Scotch Tape, and instead of looking like scum and using packing tape or electrical tape, I decide to go to Walgreens to actually buy more tape, and a couple other things I had forgotten at the store the day before.

Tyler and I jump into the car and go to the store. I am only suckered into one Diego whistle that blows bubbles, so I didn't do too bad. We jump back in the car and start to head home.

The weather is warm, not too warm, but just right for driving with the windows open. I turn the corner to go North on the highway, and all of a sudden I realize a freaking BIRD has flown into the car!!!!!!!!

It all happened so fast, but one thing I did know, was that the bird did not fly OUT. He was still in the car somewhere and based on the screams I heard coming from the backseat, I assumed that's where he was. I turn around to look at Tyler, and he is SCREAMING at the top of his lungs! I swear to God his eyes were going to pop out of their sockets he was screaming so loud, and I think he finally scared the bird, which then flew into the front seat and got wedged between the passenger door and the seat. By this point I had stopped on the car - on the freakin' HIGHWAY, and had put the car in park. I kept checking the rear view mirror, with the fear that someone would come up behind me and not realized I was stopped, but I was in a panic. I had all the windows rolled all the way down, and my seat belt off, ready to jump, when the bird finally flew ON TO THE DASH!!!! YES, THERE WAS THE BIRD, WHICH WAS NOT JUST ANY BIRD - BUT A FREAKING WOODPECKER, SITTING ON MY DASH LOOKING AT ME.

The screams continued from the backseat, and I think I was trying to crawl through the back of my seat to get away from this thing. Birds alone don't scare me, but corner a scared woodpecker - and that wouldn't be pretty!

Finally the bird flew out the window he came in, which was my driver-side window. Feathers flew about the car from this fiasco, and there were a few ants left scurrying around inside the car which must have been on the bird.

Tyler recovered quickly, faster than me. He was just so excited to get home and call grandpa and tell him he had a "Who-Pepper" in his car. I, on the other hand, will be using my air conditioning a lot more often this summer!

No comments: