Thursday, June 5, 2008

Biters and Bullies

"Guess who's moving up to the Rainbow Room?", hubby asks, tonight as we're on the phone.

"CONNOR!?!?", I half yell and half question.

"Yep! June 16th!", he answered.

The Rainbow Room is the next room - basically the true "toddler" room at daycare. That is where the kids graduate to out of the baby room. They go to the Rainbow Room when they are ready - meaning they feed themselves, are off bottles, and only need one nap during daycare hours. Funny enough - Connor meets those qualifications already. I think Tyler was 16 months before he got there - he was our napper. (Key word - WAS!)

Moving up to the next room seems so big. He won't be sleeping in a crib anymore, but on a cot. Naptime is 12:30 to 2:30 ONLY - no other naps. More structure. 2 year olds to play with. Basically a cirriculum where there is storytime, art time, they sing songs, and get to play outside. Now I wonder - what side of the room will he be on?

I learned - only about one year ago, that they have that room divided into two sides. I never noticed it when Tyler was there - I guess I thought they just divided the room up to give them more "space". It wasn't until recently that I heard about the "Biters and Bullies".

Everyone knows them. The toddlers that pull hair, tackle, steal toys, and bite. Our pediatrician assures us that it is totally natural for toddlers to bite - but I guess I never thought my son would be the one doing the biting. About once a week when I picked Tyler when he was in the room, I had an incident report to sign because he had been bitten. They wouldn't tell you who did it - so you would give a nasty glare to all the kids left in the room - maybe in an attempt to intimiate them.

One of my friends nicknamed the sides of the room. The "Good Kids" and the "Biters and Bullies". You never knew which was which - but you had a good idea. My only wonder now is - what side will Connor be on???

(See my post from Saturday, and that might give you an idea!!! Yikes!)

No comments: