Sunday, June 15, 2008

Dad

This Father's Day I wanted to take a few minutes to thank my dad for everything he's done for me in my life. I'm pretty sure he doesn't think I remember all of these moments - but it is these moments and more that shaped me as a person and made me who am I today.
  • I bet he doesn't know I remember the day he took time off of work to come to my state fair when I was in 4th grade. We had all made boothes out of refridgerator boxes (I was Delaware), and because the girl that I shared my booth with was pure evil (seriously - she's probably in prison today - no joke), I just ended up in the bathroom crying. I remember him being there though, and giving me a hug when I cried.
  • I remember the day he took my training wheels off my bike. I think he was even more excited than I was.
  • I remember him taking bike rides with my sister and I, along a path, all the way into a neighboring town - just to get an icee at a gas station. I realize now after putting in 10 hours at work that day, he was probably exhausted, but never let on that he was. He also followed my sister and I so he could keep an eye on us - probably going 2 miles per hour.
  • I remember him coming to every band concert I had, even though I know he has never been fond of cassical music - at all. I even remember the time he and my mom came to see me play in Des Moines - that was huge. I was so excited - it's like every note I played was for them.
  • I remember the time when I was a junior in high school and he drove me to Iowa State for an Honor Band competition. I remember when he dropped me off at the hotel I was staying at, and I remember the tears in both of our eyes as he left.
  • I remember him moving me out of my 84th apartment (okay - an exaggeration), in the summer of 1999 - while it was 100 degrees out (no exaggeration). We hauled every piece out through the picture window that we removed into his pickup truck. He then bought me Dairy Queen when we were done.
  • I remember my dad teaching me how to drive in the parking lot where he worked. We drove his Bivouac Van in circles - and probably scared the crap out of him - but I swear that's why I'm a decent driver today.
  • He also let me learn to drive on the rental cars that were delivered every Sunday when he was working far out of town. He had to leave Monday morning at 5am or so - but after the Rental agency dropped off those cars at 3pm on Sunday- they were MINE! (Yikes!)
  • I then remember the day I wrecked the 1974 Ford LTD that was his dad's car. It originally was my grandpa's car, and when he passed away, we received the car - and I wrecked it in the snow. I remember sobbing on my bed because I KNEW he was going to kill me. He didn't.
  • I remember being 8 years old and him taking me to softball and basketball games while I was trying out sports. He coached me in everything, and had so much patience. I don't even have that much patience today.
  • I remember him taking my sister and I to the grocery store and letting us pick out sugary cereal. We NEVER had sugary cereral in our house - so this was quite a treat. I remember my mom was always mad when we got home because she never bought that - but we were all happy. I think my sister and I ate that for breakfast, lunch and dinner until it was gone!
  • I remember being in the hospital after Connor was born, and I couldn't even tell my dad what Connor's middle name was, because I knew I would burst into tears. (Connor's middle name is Charles, after my dad).

Most of all I appreciate him for always being there. I talk to him more than I talk to anyone - even my husband sometimes. Working at the same company in the same general area, gives us a lot to talk about at times. Before he retired (and I went on maternity leave) we would walk to the Coffee Cafe in the morning to get the "good" coffee, and end up talking for about an hour. It was wonderful.

You never realize how much your parents mean to you, until they aren't there sometimes. This Father's Day I can't see my dad because of the flooding. I know we'll make it up next weekend, but I've thought about him all day. I owe him so much. I want him to know that I think about him every day, and every time I sit in my office at work and look around (especially at the picture he left me), I am thankful. Thankful for having such a wonderful dad that was always there for me, and made me who I am today.

Thanks Dad.

Dad and Connor

No comments: