Friday, September 5, 2008

Why I Love our Daycare

Tyler has 2 new teachers in his room. Miss Amber and Miss Deborah. Miss Deborah is a Grandmother herself, and is very strict with the kids - something Tyler desperately needs. Miss Amber is in her 20's, and is the nicest and cutest blonde girl - and just LOVES all the kids!

Miss Amber told me the other day that she used to be a Preschool teacher, and considers the room that she's in now (3 year olds) to be a "Pre-Kindergarten" room. She is starting to do assessments of the kids and will be sending home monthly reports on what the kids are learning, need work on, etc.

The other day she stopped me as I was walking out with the kids. "I have something to show you.", she said. "Ugh," I replied, "is it bad?".

She showed me how Tyler had written his name about 20 times that day. They started out tracing their names for them (with the dashes) and the kids fill them in. Tyler did that over and over. Then he did the whole alphabet.

One thing I'm desperately lacking as a parent, is knowing how and what to teach them. I can play with them, but am not a very patient teacher. Getting all the crayons and stuff out for 2o minutes just isn't worth it sometimes (see my previous post), so I can play catch, baseball and football with the best of them - and recently beat the neighbor boys in a homerun derby! =)

Maybe I need to start paying more attention to their intellectual needs. Tyler surprised me the other night with this.... although he needs some work on the end (which we're doing every day now), I would've never known to have taught him this!!!

No comments: