Saturday, October 4, 2008

Marching Band was a blast!

I was a proud member of the Hawkeye Marching Band for 4 years. Those four years were awesome. Just starting in college, I immediatley had 220 friends - all band members. We traveled together, spent endless hours together in buses and on airplanes, sitting in stadiums either sweating to death, or freezing our butts off. Don't get me wrong, it was tough. To this day, I think I'm a lot less sensitive to hot or cold temperature outside just because of that experience.

We also partied a lot in marching band. Holy cow - could some of those people drink. A lot. I had a few drinks here or there (or a lot here or there), but it was generally harmless. Sometimes the cops were called to parties, but no one really got hurt. I think someone might've fallen off a roof once, but he was okay. Many people might've considered us "band nerds", but I can tell you we were far from that! (If I must say so myself!)

Sounds like the Wisconsin Marching Band might've taken things a bit too far. Or someone misinterpreted something. Either way - the band doesn't get to play today for the Wisconsin vs. Ohio State game. Of all games to miss, that would NOT be one!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigten/2008-10-03-wisconsin-marching-band_N.htm?csp=34

1 comment:

K'man said...

It is strange that you would talk about this. Yesterday I was in Wisconsin with Jill and I saw this article make the front page of the Milwaukee Journal.
I immediately thought of you, Band Geek. I went so far as to cut it out to bring back to show you how times have changed a little since you were in marching band.
The article went on to say that in 2006 the director of the marching band resigned due to the controversy around the band. It seems that wasn't the root cause of the problem if now, 2 years later, the band has been suspended from performing at any more games until the investigation is resolved.