Tuesday, December 16, 2008

How procrastination paid off!

Hi, my name if Jenny, and I'm a HORRIBLE procrastinator! Yes, I should be going to meetings!

I'm not sure when this obsession with procrastinating started, but I'm really good at it now. Today included!

While sitting in a meeting this morning with a supplier, I remembered that my drivers license needed to be renewed by tomorrow, because it was 60 days past its expiration date. Yes, I have remembered this about 15 times since my birthday, but because the bullet wasn't 1 centimeter from my head, I pushed snooze and went on with my life.

I decided today I had better go, just in case they were closed tomorrow because they have the most hokey hours I have ever heard of!

So, I leave work at 10am and drive over there. It's just started snowing, and it's about 1 degree outside. Nice time to be running errands.

I arrive in what I'm pretty sure was the waiting room for hell. This place was insane! The line to check in was about 15 people long, and the cattle were herded everywhere, from chairs, to lines, to another set of chairs, to a "waiting for my printed picture, I'm almost made it out of here - THANK GOD!" huddle by the door. I decided I had to suck it up, so I waited patiently, and tried not to touch anything.

Holy Lord the characters that were in there were scary. Seriously, there was a lady with a baby, and she was wearing shorts. Did I mention it was 1 degree outside and SNOWING! There was an 89 year old lady behind me (she was telling everyone her age), sharing her story of how the nice janitor at her home took out warm buckets of water on Sunday to melt the ice on every one's car so they could go running errands. She laughed "Ha, Ha, we didn't realize that because our cars were icy that the roads would be icy too!"

I wasn't laughing. I was scared.

I finally get shuffled through everything, take my horrible picture, and am in the "THANK GOD I'm almost out of here" huddle, and they call me up to the counter.

Holy Crap! What have I done! Are they going to take away my license? My mind was racing.

"Because you waited so long today, here is your $20 back", the girl said. She handed me back my $20 that I had paid to renew my license, and apologized for my long wait. I was so shocked that I didn't know what to say, but for some cheesy reason the only thing I could think of was "Merry Christmas!" (Yes, I am just cheesy like that!)

So, procrastination paid off again. I hate it when that constantly gets validated! Now, I just have to finish my Christmas shopping..... but first, after that visit today, I think I need a shower.

No comments: