Thursday, December 4, 2008

We might be on to something

Okay, Kyle. You're redeemed. Redeemed from your purchase of a large, black, Sharpie marker for our 4-year-old son, since you took him to the rec center tonight.

Kyle called me at work today and told me when Tyler and Connor got home - he was taking Tyler to the rec center. He said Tyler asked this morning, and he told Tyler if he had a good day he would take him.

Fast forward to 7:15 as they are walking back in the door coming home. I could hear Tyler crying all the way in the garage, and this was the "I'm tired, didn't get my way, and you totally pissed me off" cry. It's beautiful.

Kyle said Tyler wanted an orange pop as they were leaving, and he wouldn't buy him one. Start meltdown here, which apparently continued the whole way home in the car, and virtually continued on and off until I got Tyler to sleep at 8:15 tonight, which is VERY early for him.

Here's what I think happened....

Tyler has figured out these things called "vending machines". He also knows where they are. He knows I have machines at work that give you gum and doritos (he came to work with me last weekend to drop something off), and he frequently asks to stop at gas stations to get gum, and where it all comes together - the last time we left the pool at the rec center, Tyler got a 7-up. I think Tyler wanted to go to the rec center to play, but it was also partially a cover for wanting a pop.

Clever kid. I could possibly start delegating the grocery shopping to him. Imagine that - grocery shopping out of a vending machine. It would get old eating animal crackers, pretzels and Twizzlers, but hey - that's how I survived in college AND I would get a whole hour back in my weekend!!! No more lines at Wal-Mart, trying to Connor to sit down in the cart, or trying to make that critical decision like "do I buy a Totinos pizza for 99 cents or a rising crust pizza for $5?"

We might be on to something.....

No comments: