Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Guess what Mom!?!?!

When I walked in the door tonight, Tyler was thrilled. He ran up to me and quickly announced that he had pooped on his own today at daycare, and was able to wipe his own butt!!!!! He was thrilled!!! At least he had a better day than I did.

Our conversation continued later, and it was funny, but deep.

He asked me about why I was brushing my teeth after dinner.

"Mommy, why are you brushing your teeth?" he asked.

"Because I just ate, and I brush my teeth after I eat" I replied.

"What did you eat?" he asked.

"Goulash." I replied (he knew that!).

"Why did you eat, were you hungry?" he asked again.

"Yep, I was. I didn't have a snack today at work." I replied, thinking I would put this into perspective for him.

"I had a snack at daycare today," he added, "You didn't have a snack today at work?"

"No, I didn't have a snack today, but I did yesterday. Just not today", I replied, thinking this conversation would have to soon end.

"Are they mean to you at work?" He asked. I just stopped.

Wow, that was deep. I actually am still thinking about that one. Are they mean? No, not usually, and sometimes, not on purpose. But could we all be nicer to each other? Always. That's actually been first and foremost in my thoughts lately at work, as we try to accomplish some very difficult goals, with less staffing than ever. The challenges are neverending, and the "opportunities" are everywhere.

That was the deepest thing I heard all day. Thanks Tyler for always keeping it in perspective for me, and reminding me what is important, always.

1 comment:

K'man said...

Wow.
Stop me in my tracks.
Are they mean to you at work.
I know the answer to that and it really makes me stop and think.