Saturday, January 16, 2010

I know him too well...

Last night was interesting... I had tons of studying to do for class today, and Kyle was planning on heading to the Ney's (our neighbors) for an evening of dinner, some drinks, and probably a movie (if no good sports event was on). He took Tyler, and I stayed home with Connor. I knew I could possibly read while watching Stuart Little for the 284th time.

By 9:30, Kyle and Tyler were still not home. I knew Tyler had not taken a nap that day, had been up since 6:20am, and went sledding with his daycare class at a local golf course. He had to be totally exhausted. I texted Kyle...

"Send Tyler home, I'll put him to bed. If you don't, you will have a whiny mess all day tomorrow..."

Trying to think ahead, Kyle's most annoying thing in the world, is a tired Tyler. Tired Tyler is a mess. He whines, he cries, he is mean, he throws fits, etc. It's not pretty. I was trying to look out for Kyle's best interest.

Finally, at about 9:55, I see them walking home. "Awesome." I think to myself. "Tyler is going to be a mess tomorrow."

I got home from class at 5pm today. Kyle said he had an awesome day. I could hardly believe it. That all ended about 2 hours ago. We went to Mike and Vicki's for "Taco Night", and when Tyler finally threw a golf ball at Connor's nose, causing it to bleed, I picked him up sideways, and brought him home.

I feel so bad for Tyler when he gets into that mood. He's just totally miserable. You can tell he just hurts from being so tired.

I got him into his pajamas, by some act of God, and sat on his bed with him. I could tell it was going to take a little bit more to calm him down, because he was just that out of control.

I took him to Connor's room, and we sat in the rocking chair. Tyler was out in about 10 seconds, and then he just was there, passed out in my arms.

It was at that time that I can remember him being a baby. He was a very sensitive baby, and actually cried a lot. He was very hard to soothe, and if you weren't sitting on the "bouncy ball" (the exercise ball) in our living room, he usually wasn't quiet. He was the epitome of a colicky baby, but when he finally passed out, he was out. Just like tonight.

I looked at his face. This now, so big face. That used to be my 7 pound 2 ounce baby. He still cries like he did when he was first born. So intense, but so needy. Like he just needs someone, to help him calm down. Usually its me helping him calm down, and its so peaceful to see him finally just relax.

He hasn't changed a bit.

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Ah, the sideways carry. We know it well here. Often it's also the almost upside down, arms and legs pretzel'd carry to prevent said limbs on the uncooperative and irate child from thrashing around and smashing me in the face. I especially love when he uses his feet to push off a passing doorframe and nearly knocks me onto my ass. We had a sideways carry today. Thankfully it was just at home but we've done it in public too. Fun times.

I find there's really no middle ground here. It's either hugs and kisses and I love you's and, as in the case of this morning, "You want to hear something mommy? 'There's nothing like a mommy!'" It's either that or uncooperation and fury. We actually have a worker coming in this coming week for observation. I'm done with trying to do this on my own. I don't have the tools to find something effective to help him. Hopefully that's about to change.

Wish me luck!! And good luck to you!