Monday, April 19, 2010

Monday, already?

What a fast weekend, as they all seem to be anymore. Not a dull moment, though, which I guess is good. As it seems to be a trend I'm starting, here are some highlights from the weekend:

It took Tyler 3 days of riding his bike without training wheels before he totally biffed in the street. Poor kid. I was in the house on Friday night, and all of a sudden heard screaming. Within seconds Kyle had him in the house, and sitting at the kitchen table. When I got a look at his face, I got the "supplies" and we started doctoring him up.

Apparently Tyler was moving pretty fast down the street, and hit a patch of sand. He skidded on the left side, because it looks like someone took a cheese grater to the whole left side of his body. His cheek, chin, shoulder, wrist and knee are all scraped up. He did not like this at all, of course, and especially didn't like it when he looked at himself in the mirror.

The rest of the night, we had a hard time distinguishing between Tyler being actually "hurt" and the drama that he can bring. Oh yes, my young 5 year old is such a Drama King. Holy. Lord. He can milk it - and sometimes he's really hurt, but after a couple hours of literally clinging to me, I figured he was just looking for sympathy, but I think the fall scared him more than anything. He did have a helmet on, thankfully, which did absolutely nothing for him the way he fell. The first impact point was his face.

Next interesting subject, Connor peed in the parking lot of King's Material in Coralville and also on the corner of Dubuque Street and Linder Drive. That kid had to pee constantly yesterday, so in what would usually be a quick trip around town, necessitated a couple of non-standard stops. I always panic when Connor says from the backseat "Mommy, need to go PEE!", because he's not kidding. I asked him to hold it once for about a minute, and he couldn't. He wet his entire seat which meant not only his clothes got changed, but the entire carseat needed to be ripped apart to be cleaned. One good thing, at least he's a boy. That makes it a bit easier. No wonder my boys prefer peeing outside to the bathroom.

At the end of this trip, I decided to take the boys to the Coralville Reservoir to see how high it was. (By the way, at a perfectly normal level now), so we went to the "outflow" of the dam. The dam is open nearly all the way, so the water coming out of it is CRAZY! I was hoping the boys would be able to feel a small mist or get a little splash.

Little did I know... I was bending over to help Tyler with his shoe, when a GUSHER of a splash came over the wall. Poor Tyler and Connor were soaked from head to toe, and my back was soaked! Both of them started crying, so I had to strip them, and put them in the car with only their wet underwear on. Thankfully I didn't get stopped on the way home. Connor was wearing my pink Columbia fleece and Tyler had on a sweater that I need to take to the cleaners (that I found in the back!). My new phone doesn't have a camera, but I think I will carry one from now on just for instances like that. Tyler in a woman's sweater, with buttons the size of quarters - buttoned crooked. It was hilarious!

I've decided Tyler has the most comfortable bed in the house. Sunday morning at about 4am Tyler walked into our room and said he had a bad dream. I always try to coax him back to his bed (he does NOT do good sharing a bed, and being 50 pounds being a tall 5 year old, there is just not enough room, even in our king bed.

I put Ty in bed with us (I was not going to have a 4am tantrum by fighting him back to his room), and attempted to go back to sleep. Within 20 seconds I was kicked in the back, and had my hair pulled so hard I almost cried. I then got out of bed and went to Tyler's room and spent the rest of the morning in Tyler's bed, until both a confused Tyler and Connor came and woke me up around 7am. Connor must've been looking for me in bed, and woke Tyler up too. They thought it was funny. I was happy to just have been able to go back to sleep.

As always, the weekend went too fast, and ended with the typical Sunday night grilling (this time steaks) and a few beers. With the gorgeous weather outside, it seems we cannot spend enough time out on the deck!

No comments: