Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tyler's New Obsession

A tornado.

Seriously. This kid is absolutely terrified at the even thought of a tornado. The thunderstorm and hail we had last night helped. Holy cow - we had 1,000 questions.

"Mom, is there going to be a tornado? Where are they? How will we know if we have to hide? Does the sky suck the ice off the ground to make hail? Why is there lightening in a tornado?", etc. etc. etc.

I'm not sure what spawned this. My only guess is that they started doing tornado drills at daycare (where he told me they have to go into the women's restroom in the main hallway - so he is paying attention). My guess is that the combination of the activity to shuffle everyone in the bathroom, then sitting there for who-knows-how-long probably scares the bejesus out of him.

We did happen to be flipping through channels on Sunday night, and noticed that this week is "Tornado Week" on the Weather Channel. So, every night we've been watching shows about tornadoes. It's actually neat to watch him learn. He's asking about how hail is made, and why do tornadoes turn in circles, etc. Fortunately, since I also had a tornado obsession when I was in elementary school, I can answer those questions for him.

He never ceases to amaze me. Just when I think I have him figured out, he finds a new hobby, a new interest, or something new to worry about. Now we have to convince him every night that a tornado won't come to our house in the middle of the night.

I remember having nightmares as a child that I was standing at our picture window watching a tornado come right towards the house. Maybe he is a lot more like me than I thought....

No comments: