Monday, April 12, 2010

The weekend, more or less...

Some interesting things that happened around our house this weekend:

The big one! Kyle bought a smoker. I've never had food off of a smoker (from my own backyard), and IT. IS. AWESOME! We smoked chicken on Saturday and ribs on Sunday. The best part about the smoker, since you have to kind of hang around while it's smoking, it makes for great time as a family. The kids playing outside, Kyle and I can sit and talk and just enjoy the day, and the neighbors all wander over because it smells so darn good! It was worth every penny.

We got to enjoy the firepit on Saturday night. Firepit+smoker+friends+drinks= awesome good time.

I cleaned the kitchen floor three times this weekend. The only way I clean the floor is on my hands and knees (a trick learned from my dad), with my special Melaleuca cleaner that also has a disinfectant in it. Smoker+friends+drinks=a lot of people in the house. I'll take it though..... so relaxing.

Tyler and I went to the store together. This, in and of itself, does not seem like a big deal, but I am just mesmerized with that kid. I love spending one-on-one time with him, just talking. We went to Wal-Mart and walked around the garden center and talked about the plants and flowers, until Tyler had to go to the bathroom. Again, why with needing to go to the bathroom at Wal-Mart!?!?!? It seems I'm doomed whenever I go into the store with one of the kids. At least now, Tyler can run into the restroom by himself while I wait outside. He actually prefers that.

I just love spending time with Tyler. The more we talk, the more I learn about him, and the more impressed I am with him. I especially love to watch his eyes when he talks. He has the most amazing green, hazel, red, light brown eyes that seem to change color while he's talking, depending on the intensity of the conversation. That, and the fact that his freckles (thanks Kyle, these kids don't have a chance!) are starting to spring up all over his face, are so darn cute. I could watch him for hours.

This same "big boy" fell asleep on my lap last night while watching the movie UP. He was so tired from the weekend, and after staying up until after 10pm on Saturday, and no nap on Sunday, he was ready to crash. Before 7:30 he was sawing logs on my lap, while I rubbed his forehead, which totally relaxes him. I could've stayed there all night, if it wasn't for Connor then trying to poke Tyler's eyes out. Sleeping big brother+little brother who is usually the one picked on=a good time for Connor.

Speaking of the movie UP, we watched it twice this weekend (well, it was on twice, and I saw bits and pieces of it). The more times I see that movie, the more I like it. Really not a kids movie at all (as most of those types of movies are). I actually get tears in my eyes towards the end. It has such deep meaning (even with the talking dogs), and it's nice that the kids enjoy it too!

The weekend ended at 3:45 this morning when I woke up in a panic attack with everything that is looking me in the face this week. By next Saturday night, I'm pretty sure I will be off the wagon again.

No comments: