Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Dentist


I'm horrible. I should be totally ashamed of myself. And I'm going to hell..... I have never taken my kids to the dentist.

Loren, over on SweetendTaters discusses taking her triplets to the dentist, and what happened there. I also happened to be having a conversation with a co-worker today who mentioned his 20 month old is going to the dentist. 20 MONTH OLD???? What the hell is my problem?

This bothered me so much, I Googled it. I have found anywhere found from "before their first birthday" to "five years old". Why such a discrepancy? I understand there are issues that would have you bring your kid to the dentist earlier, but before their first birthday? My niece only had four of her teeth before her second birthday! (Yes, that is typed correctly - her SECOND birthday!) What would they have told her? "Nice gums Carley!"?

I guess I'm going to add this to my "slacker mom" list (along with bringing a bag of half eaten Oreos for snack to daycare). I swear, I did have this conversation with my dentist when Tyler was like 2, and he basically said, when they are young, they just want to get them used to seeing a dentist chair, and the tools and the noises, because it just scares them so much. He suggested bringing Tyler during my next appointment so he could see what happens to me. At that time, Tyler was 2 or 3 and I didn't usually bring him anywhere in public, voluntarily, by myself. Since then, it has totally slipped my mind.

I did get the name of a good pediatric dentist that I'm going to call tomorrow. I feel like such a total heel. I guess I have never had any teeth problems in my life, and have never had a cavity, so "dental health" has never been an issue for me - now or as a child. I've been very lucky.

I will write a reminder on my hand so I don't forget that. I swear I need a person to just organize ME sometimes. "Jenny, pay your phone bill!", "Jenny, buy more deodorant!", "Jenny, change your oil!". I am so absent minded at times, I worry about myself!

Now I'm wondering, what else am I forgetting about???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I took Brogan shortly before he started school. He was a few months shy of four. It was his first appt and all the dentist did was take a peek at his teeth, not a real visit. No cleaning or anything. I do my appts once a year but I probably should do B's every six months. Work benefits covers it all so that's nice.

loren said...

Don't feel bad! I had someone from the county hounding me over the phone because she wanted to make sure the girls were scheduled to see a dentist. She said they should have seen one by the age of 4!