Sunday, March 23, 2008

Russian Roulette of Parenting

Today we played the game I like to refer to as "Russian Roulette of Parenting", otherwise known as "Will Tyler Take a Nap in the Car?"

Today being Easter, we went to my parents which is about 60 miles away. Those 60 miles are just long enough to get a decent nap for Tyler, or long enough to watch a movie five times on his portable DVD player, since he insists on watching every movie on that thing in fast motion, flipping from scene to scene so the movies cannot possibly make sense.

We spent a few hours at my parents, ate way too much, Tyler played really hard, and was SO ready for a nap in the car. We brought his blanket along that he likes to hold when he sleeps, and when we got in the car for the ride home, he was ready for a nap, and I was too. I gave him his DVD player so he could watch his new "Bee Movie" and we were on our way.

Connor was asleep within 5 minutes, and slept the entire way home. Tyler watched his movie, then he talked, then he asked us questions, then he just looked out the window, and finally fell asleep about 5 miles from home. Literally, by the time his head flopped forward, we were within the city limits. By the time we turned in to our neighborhood, he was awake again. This, ladies and gentlemen, is what I refer to as the "Ha Ha Sucker" nap. 10 miles asleep, for some reason, makes a 3 year old body THINK that they had their nap quota for the day. That is, until about 6pm.

It is 8:25 right now, and Tyler is still not asleep. We started the bedtime routine about an hour and a half ago, but since he's become quite clever recently, he's been able to stall, play, beg for more stories, and do whatever else it takes to stay up longer. Adrenaline kicked in about 2 hours ago, and my child has an endless supply. Currently, Kyle is taking him potty for the second time, because you know he's just stalling, but just in case he's not - you have to take him.

After an evening like this, I owe daycare a sympathy card before sending him there tomorrow, but all I have to say is, better them than me! I'm sure he will be a joy all morning, since up until his nap tomorrow his body will be running on 2 hours too few of sleep. Hopefully, tomorrow night, we have our child back! (I should clarify that - I want the NICE one!)

No comments: