Monday, April 14, 2008

My totally irrational fear

As I mentioned a couple of days ago, I had the pleasure of staying home by myself Saturday night. That means I can do what I want - when I want - and have the TV remote ALL TO MYSELF! (whoo-hoo!!!)

As I was in bed flipping random channels, I came across Forrest Gump - one of the best movies of all time in my opinion. Okay - how can you not just love this guy, and just get warm fuzzies every five minutes with the whole theme of the movie? But being who I am, I couldn't stop flipping. I noticed that The Grudge 2 was on HBO. And that's when it started...

I have always had an irrational fear of monsters. Well, scarey stuff, I guess. The first time I can remember is in the house that I pretty much grew up in. We had a banister that wrapped around a flight of stairs that led to the basement. Every time I approached that banister, I imagined a hand coming up from down below and grabbing my ankles. I usually sprinted by the stairs, or made a bee-line through the kitchen to avoid walking by them. That fear never subsided, it just seemed to morph into different fears. Something under the bed, something behind the shower curtain, someone in the back seat of my car. I've lived without medication, believe it or not, and have just come to grips with the fact that I'm a wimp.

So when I was on maternity leave with Tyler back in 2004, I was re-introduced to my fears. The movie "The Grudge" was coming out in theatres, and EVERYONE was talking about it. They had preview after preview on TV - they showcased it on Good Morning America, they talked about it on Oprah, they had articles about it in the newspaper - it almost seemed as if I could not get away from it - from those images. But they also peaked my curiousity. If everyone was talking about this movie - it must be pretty good. I must see this...

Kyle soon thereafter went to rent a movie. It must've been a good night to rent movies because there was nothing decent left, so instead he bought 3 from the movie store - I believe it was buy 3 for $20 or so. The Grudge was one of those he purchased and we watched it that night. Well, I watched as much of it as I could from behind my hands and also the blanket I kept putting in front of my face. I remember also plugging my ears at one point because I didn't even want to hear what was about to happen.

The movie terrified me - and I know what you're going to say "Why did you watch it, moron?". I have no idea! Why? What was I hoping to gain? It's almost like when you're on a diet and know you shouldn't have that last dessert, but have one more piece of cheesecacke because "it won't matter", then you need to spend the next 4 weeks on the treadmill working it off. Yea, that was me, except the treadmill is my brain trying to get horrible images of this disgusting ghost/monster/girl out of my head! And then try getting up in the middle of the night with a baby and sitting in the dark in the living room nursing him while the whole house is completely still and you can hear every crack and the ticking clock. HORRIFYING! It was rediculous what I did to myself by just watching that movie.

So - WHY. ON. EARTH. DID. I. DO. IT. AGAIN????? I watched the first 10 minutes of the movie and made myself turn it off. It's so tempting to just "see" what happens, and I saw enough. Enough to renew some of those horrifying images in my brain.

Then this happens...

I'm up with Connor at 2am last night. I get him back to sleep and quietly walk into the hall, making a glance to my left just to see if "anything" is that way (totally irrational thoughts going on), and then walk into Tyler's room to check on him. Usually this results in me covering him up, or unburying him, but not tonight....

I try to focus - the room is almost pitch dark and I was just sitting in a room that has a much brighter night light in it. I must've stood there for a few seconds trying to put my mind around what was going on...

Tyler is SITTING UP in bed! Kneeling! Looking at his headboard! His pants are around his knees, and he is asleep! THIS FREAKS THE SHIT OUT OF ME! After I figured out what was going on, and figured out that I wasn't dreaming and this wasn't a nightmare, I lept on to his bed (so whatever monster that was under his bed couldn't grab my ankles!), got his pants back on, and laid him down and covered him up. He never budged. It's almost as if he woke up earlier and needed to go to the bathroom, but only got 25% of the way there. He didn't even wet in his bed, which is what I also expected. It was the first night he went to bed without a pull-up on (he actually wore his big boy underwear), so maybe that had something to do with it, but I was FREAKED OUT. Did I mention that I was freaked out? Holy shit - it took me almost an hour to get calmed back down to go back to sleep.

So that is IT! I'm breaking up with these horror movies. No More! I actually threw away our copy of The Grudge a couple of years ago, because I didn't even want the reminder of that in my house.

We'll see - I know the next time it's on I will be like a crack addict that receives a free sample in the mail. (Hey - it was just on HBO - I just wanted to see what part it was, for the last 10 minutes), so I can totally renew my irrational fear again.

And for the record - the house we have no has no stairs, and I'm prefectly happy with that!


No comments: