Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Breakfast with Tyler

Tyler seems to be going through a phase, but I hope he doesn't grow out of it too fast. I'm not sure if he's becoming more aware the fact that I'm gone during the day and he needs to savor every moment, or if he's just a little boy that needs his mom.

Tyler LOVES it when Connor goes to bed or is otherwise out of the picture. I think if Tyler was completely honest with us, he would tell us that Connor is okay - but Tyler likes to have us to himself. Tyler has always been very demanding of our time, since the day he was born, and it's just morphed into different sorts of "needs" throughout the years.

After Connor goes to bed at night, Tyler "wants" me. Usually it starts out with a "Mommy, Hold Me", and as he gets tired, he wants to sit on my lap on the chair and cuddle with a blanket. I LOVE it! I try to spend as much time sitting with him and just taking in his being-ness. I sit with him on my lap, this same boy that was my 7 pound 2 ounce baby and taught me how to be a mom.

In the morning, I'm usually up before the birds. Sometimes Tyler will wake up early and in the morning wants to be held as well. It's almost like he needs these minutes with me to transition into the day. On days when we unfortunately have to be out the door sooner than later, this lack of "transition" into the day leaves Tyler frustrated and usually crying. I HATE that.

After a couple minutes of cuddling, he's ready for the day, and in the picture above, he's having breakfast with me. We talk about our days, he asks me what I'm going to do that day, and he tells me the funniest stories. He wanted to sit on the counter this day, and I let him. Our special time together is worth whatever happens, even if it means the cereal will get spilled, like on this day.

No comments: