Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Team

With both my husband and I working full-time at pretty hectic jobs, we rarely get time to stop. Okay - so Kyle admitted to me that he had 4 hours of downtime today in between appointments where he said he had never been so bored in his life, but hey, that's part of his job. I would've given my right arm for 4 hours of boredom in order to just attempt to get caught up on something, but he also probably would've been doing something else too - rather than wandering around waiting for an appointment 30 miles away.

When we get home at night, we're exhausted. We've both been going for at least 12 hours, and we'd like to rest, or sit, or just not have to think. To have all three of those would be amazing - we'll take one - just ONE some nights in order to regain some sanity.

Those nights don't exist, at least anymore. Gosh, I remember coming home, casually reading the mail, possibly fixing supper, then sitting down to watch TV. Now, we literally get to sit after both boys are in bed - until that time it's: fix them food, feed them, clean up after them, bath them, get them in their pajamas, play with them for a little bit, read a book/tell a story, off to bed. And some nights are easier than others.

Tyler was having one of his nights. One of those where yipping, screaming and bouncing were the norm. I have no idea what caused it, likely a combination of things (tired, hungry and not getting outside today because of the rain), but whatever it is, it was making Kyle CRAZY!

There are nights when each of us reaches our breaking point earlier than the other. Tonight, Kyle reached his in about 5 minutes. He couldn't stand one more outburst from Tyler, and ironically enough, I was holding together pretty well. I handled most of the night, giving Tyler a bath (and myself and the bathroom in the process), and he sat with me in the chair and ate an apple and we watched SpiderMan, again. I got him to bed, and everyone remained calm.

It takes a team to handle this sometimes. With 2 it does get more difficult - you have to take the "man on man" approach they do in basketball. Overall, it takes a team to help each other remain sane, remain alive and remain happy. It took us quite a while to figure out this team concept, but we're pretty good at it now. I get my time, and Kyle gets his. As the boys get older, it gets easier and easier to accomplish this too. Now, we just need to get the boys to learn this and apply it to their lives. They will also be successful, if they can do it as a team.

No comments: