Saturday, July 19, 2008

"Mommy, hold my hand...."

I guess you could say I've always been a "firm" mom. I don't tolerate whining, tantrums, or talking back, and if my kids fall down outside, I'll pause and let them figure out what they need before running to their aide. Usually, they get up, brush it off, and keep on going. Sometimes though, I forget that they're still babies...
My husband had his summer picnic for his work today at a park nearby. Of all days, today it literally has to be about 100 degrees outside, and we live in East Central Iowa. 100 degrees in Iowa, usually means it's about 90% humidity - which it is today.

We went to the picnic with both boys, and had a good time. There was a HUGE playground structure for Tyler to play on, and since there were tons of other kids there too, he had a great time.

As I was coaxing him back to the pavillion so we could get ready to leave, he ran up next to me and said, "Mommy, hold my hand.". I wasn't sure what caused this, as Tyler usually isn't a touchy-feely kid - but I held his hand.

In those brief moments that I held his hand, I remembered that this little boy is only 3 years old. Okay - he'll be 4 in September, but sometimes I expect so much of him. He's a very tall kid, so he looks like he's 6, so I often expect him to act like he's 6. Today he was tired after his baseball game he went to last night, and the heat just sucked everything out of us.

Sometimes it's nice to be pulled down to reality - and I usually find the people that are doing that for me - are my own children.

1 comment:

loren said...

Oh, I completely get that whole forgetting-what-age-your-kids-are thing.

I expect a lot of my girls - I know that - and sometimes I find myself stressing if they don't do things right or if they start behaving like 3-year-olds. Go figure!

Then a friend or stranger will comment about how smart/well-behaved they are for 3, and I feel a little guilty :)