Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Oh, how you forget....

"Don't I look innocent!"

I have completely forgotten a HUGE part of a Toddler's life. That part is that that is absolutely impossible to take them ANYWHERE, or, at least I'll speak for my boys.

Tyler was always a very tense baby. He didn't sit or stand anywhere for any length of time, and was walking by the time he was 10 months old - I think because he just couldn't get anywhere fast enough. He quickly learned to run, and that is pretty much his only speed anymore. I had forgotten what happened between the 10 months and now.

Connor is getting quick, and impatient. He definitely knows what he wants now, and will let you know. He will also let you know when he DOESN'T want something -which is now to NOT sit in his car seat and does the wonderful "stiff as a board back arch" that is one of the moves they must secretly teach babies in a "How to drive your parents crazy" class.

I just needed to mail a package, so Connor and I headed off to the UPS store. How harmless could that be? How long would we be in there - 5 minutes, top?

Ensue chaos.

We walk into the UPS store. I tell the lady I want to ship a package (duh!), and Connor starts his back arching aerobics in my arms. I'm mailing this to Canada, so I have to sign 15 forms, give my blood type and promise to sacrifice my firstborn child if I don't fess up to everything I was mailing. It was literally a book and a cookbook. Holy cow - you would've thought I was trying to smuggle cocaine out of the country.

During this process, Connor ran around the counter 3 times, would not let me hold him, but also would not sit still. Although I was the only one in the store - I DO NOT let my children just run free in public. The lady was so nice and tried to distract him. She even got a play UPS truck down from a shelf for him to play with - but he had his eyes set on the cart that large packages are moved on. She's trying to get me finished, and Connor is trying to push her cart around behind the counter.

We ended up getting out of the store without anyone getting harmed. I had finally just given Connor my cell phone which made him happy for a couple minutes - but who knows who he called. As I was thinking about it - my boss' number and her boss' number are both in my cell phone. I can't imagine how thrilled they would be to get a call from me with the sound of slobbering and babbling on the other end.

So, we have officially entered Toddler Season. No more trips to Wal-Mart, no more just holding him while we shop, no more casual stops in the store. This kid is non-stop, just like his brother, and dad.

Let the Toddler Olympics begin!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhhhhh, I'm sorry. But huge thanks too! Very, very much.

K'man said...

well, that explains the text message I got from you