Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The TV needs batteries

I walked in the house tonight to a wonderful surprise. Kyle had made lasagna, salad and breadsticks for dinner, and even opened a bottle of wine. I got the kids from daycare, so when we walked in, we literally went right to the table and started eating. This didn't give the kids the chance to get all hyper like they usually do, and to rummage through the pantry eating whatever they can get their hands on.

Before dinner, I walked into the living room and unplugged the TV. I just wanted quiet. It was a rule at our house growing up that as soon as you sat down for dinner, the TV had to go off. I liked that rule, and it really stuck with me. It drives me nuts whenever we go somewhere else and the TV is on while we're eating - it just seems disrespectful to the people you are eating with.

I mentioned to Kyle that I would like the TV to stay off for the night, and he thought that would be a great idea. Instead, we spent the night at the dinner table coloring with crayons and markers, eating watermelon (that Tyler talked me into getting at the store last weekend), and talking. It was wonderful.

Tyler tried a couple of times to turn the TV on, but decided that he thinks it just needs batteries - and went on to playing with his trucks.

What a nice night. My type of a "normal" family, has become us.

1 comment:

K'man said...

NO TV FOR AN EVENING? What kind of hillbillys are you people anyway?
Next thing you know you will be making your own bread and beer and killing animals for meat!
Then, goodness knows, you will be riding a MULE to work!
We will never get the economy going if you sell your truck for a MULE! Get with it!
Props on getting Kyle to cook an awesome meal, tho.