Sunday, March 1, 2009

I'm sure this is harder on me

Notice in this picture Connor has a pacifier in his mouth, and one in his hand - just in case!

Kyle and I made a decision this weekend. It was a big one, and wasn't easy to make, but we did it.

We decided Connor is done with his pacifier. (insert long, drawn out sigh from me here). Tyler never took a pacifier, so this is totally new territory for us.

Connor will be 22 months old here shortly, and although the pacifier doesn't really bother me, I know he doesn't NEED it. He likes it, but doesn't need it. I know he doesn't use one all day long at daycare, except for naps sometimes (because they said he goes to sleep better with it), so he can do without it at home, too.

Many people gave us advice on how to do this, and I think 90% of them said to snip off the end of the pacifier. This makes it suck different, and they said just continue to snip the end of it off until there is not much left. Sometime along the way he will get tired of it, or just frustrated, and not want it anymore. I could see him tonight looking at it, with a look of "what the heck is wrong with this thing?", on his face. He's put it back in his mouth and a "squeak, squeak, squeak" sound would be made. He would take it out of his mouth, look at it again, and then put it back.

I did get him down to bed pretty easy (both kids are exhausted), and he didn't seem too bothered by it. Now I just have to get over myself.

I think I'm having a harder time with this than he is. I've always wanted to make sure my kids are comfortable and happy, and will make sure I'm doing whatever I can to accomplish this. I do know I don't want a 4 year old with a pacifier, but its just hard to finally come to grips with the fact that my baby isn't going to be my baby much longer.

The emotional realities of having your youngest baby grow up and move out of the "baby" phases is hard to handle. It's almost as if I'm losing a part of myself, because this little boy is growing up so fast, and doesn't need me as much as he used to. This will just continue as he gets older.

It seems I'm usually longing for them to be more independent, but I just can't let go of their dependence on me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear you. I felt the same. And B always had two pacifiers too. Saved a lot of headache if one got temporarily misplaced.

My mom snipped a little X in the tip of our soothers, which ruined the suck, and I had always thought I'd do the same for B. When the time came (and then long passed), however, I couldn't do it. My brother grabbed the soother and lopped the entire nipple off except for about a quarter inch!! I hid the second soother (because I couldn't bear to toss it just yet) and I just told B the cut one was broken and he was fine. About a week later I caved (he was sick or something) and gave him the second soother but after awhile (a couple weeks?) I eventually did snip the X in it.

B didn't NEED his sooce either but he sure did like it at nap and bed times. And it was comforting when he was sick or sleepy.