Tuesday, April 28, 2009

It was just a bike ride

I got home tonight after a frustrating day. A day where I questioned myself as a person, and as a leader for my team. I wondered if I am doing the right thing at work, or am just wasting my time every day. Just one-of-those-days.

Then I saw the bike ride.

Jason and his dad, Steve, were going on a bike ride around the cul-de-sac. Jason, who is home for the week between his chemo treatments, was on a bike ride. Jason on his tricycle and his dad on his bike.

How often we take for granted the simple things. Jason was released from the Children's Hospital yesterday after his 4th round of chemo. He is winning his fight with leukemia, but these chemo treatments are KILLING him.

I never knew that this happened. After his first chemo treatment, they told his family that the leukemia was virtually gone, but because it is so aggressive, they treat it even MORE aggressively, and the treatment is what almost kills you.

Because of his treatments, Jason has almost no hair. That is the least of his symptoms. He is frequently put into isolation at the hospital because of the horrible bacterial infections he is fighting because of the chemo, which depletes his immune system to nothing. He also has to receive blood transfusions because his red count is so low, he can hardly function. I never realized that "treatment" meant that sometimes you have to get worse, before you can get better.

Then I saw them on their bike ride. Something that I would consider a "chore" with my children. An "oh Lord, okay, we'll go on a walk, but let's please hurry home because I have laundry in the dryer/food in the oven/something pointless to do (fill in the blank)."

What a reality check.

Our fundraiser garage sale is set for June 13th. This is going to be HUGE. We have donations from dozens of people so far, and so many ideas of how we are going to raise money that day.

Money, so that when Jason comes home, for good, he and his dad can go on all the bike rides they want!


No comments: