Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Thinking Time

Although I usually won't admit it, one of my favorite times of the day is putting the boys to bed. I love the peacefulness, the total silence, the just sitting and being alone with the little boy falling asleep, and my thoughts.

Connor is at the age where when we go "nite nite", we go to his room and I rock him for about 3 minutes. This 3 minutes is his transition from running around the living room, into going to sleep. I turn the lights off, turn the sound machine one (which drowns out the noise that Tyler and Kyle - the two noisiest people in the world) are still making, and I usually start his Rainforest machine that starts some cute, relaxing music.

Then we sit in the chair.

It's sitting in the chair when the most amazing thing happens. I swear, my mind starts swimming with thoughts. Without distractions, other noise, and constant interruptions, I can actually complete a thought. And it's amazing what I think about.

Usually, I think about stuff at work. Work has been so crazy lately, I actually today looked down to check and see if I had a matching pair of shoes on - after I got to work. I feel that overwhelmed. Sometimes I think about someone I forgot to call back (I'm horrible at that - they should just take my phone off my desk), a project I'm working, or even what I'm going to wear to work the next day (including the shoes!).

Sometimes the thoughts become more random. Tonight I thought about what my parents, sister and I use to do after a day at the beach. (I have NO idea where this thought came from). I have such good memories of going to the beach, then going home and taking a shower to get cleaned up, then heading to Godfather's Pizza for pizza and pop. Actually, I didn't like pizza and pop (still don't love it to this day - but will eat it), but I loved the act of going there, with my family. It was always the end of a perfect day.

I love the "thinking time" I get in the evenings. I always tell myself that the next time I do this, I should bring a paper and pen with me to capture the things that I can't continue to forget, and even some of the random thoughts that I wonder why I'm thinking.

I have wonderful memories of my mom laying with me in bed as I went to sleep. Actually, I didn't sleep - I would usually talk her ear off, but I loved it. Sometimes I forget that I'm creating these memories for my boys, while I'm reliving my own.

No comments: