Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Connor's First Surgery


Okay - so it's not something you want to put in the "book of firsts", but I'm glad this was done. Connor has basically been on antibiotics since New Years Day, and had just finished off his last round of Omnicef on Sunday night, which is why I'm glad our appointment with the ENT was Monday.

I'm glad we could have the appointment right after finishing those meds, because he was able to see that even with those still in his system, his ears were horrible. He said they were full of puss, which would explain why Connor woke up with, yet another cold on Monday morning. With all of that fluid/gunk in his ears, there is no place for it to drain to.

I was expecting to have him write us a perscription, and say, if he gets another infection, call us and we'll schedule surgery. Instead - he said he'd be back in a minute. When he returned, he said "We can either start another round of antibiotics and schedule the surgery for next week, or I have an opening at 7:45 tomorrow".

Holy Crap! We weren't prepared for that, and especially since we both missed work that Monday due to the weather, another day out of work seemed out of the question - but had to keep the little guy's health in mind. We just want him better.

What a trooper. Connor and I arrived at the hospital at about 6:15 this morning and he did fantastic! He couldn't eat or drink after midnight, but never fussed a bit. We rode in the push car and wagon on the surgery floor to pass the time, and he just smiled and flirted with the nurses.

The surgery itself took about 10 minutes, maybe. I went to the bathroom, got a drink, grabbed a cup of coffee, sat down, looked at the cover of the magazines next to me, and Dr. Capper came in. He's wonderful. He said the ears were full of puss again, so it's a good thing we did this when we did - or we would just be fighting another infection for a week.

Connor is a fantastic baby - such a great personality. Believe me, he has his moments, but I get him. He's just like me! =)

No comments: