Wednesday, February 27, 2008

And then my little boy grew up

The other night, I was in the bathroom with Tyler. It was time to take a bath, and I was playing "goalie" by trying to keep him in the bathroom. Just before bathtime is when he has his last burst of energy, and usually runs around the house, naked, just laughing and cracking up while one of us chase him. It's become routine, and it's hilarious!

So as we're getting in to the tub, he announces he needs to go potty. I beg him to just pee in the tub, like he has done for the last 3 years! He ignores me, and hops out. As I'm watching, he lifts the toilet lid, aims, and pees in the toilet! What??? When did this start? He's peeing standing up now? We never taught him this - he must've just watched other kids at daycare.

Wow, when did my little boy grow up. What else is left? It seems when they are little there are so many milestones that come so fast - smiling, sitting, crawling, standing, wobbling, walking, talking, etc. You get the picture. What's next after this? I guess I never expected this - but then after seeing him do it, it made me think really hard about how fast he's growing up.

This morning, he walked out into the kitchen at about 6:15. He usually wants you to hold him on your lap for about 1 minute after he wakes up - kind of like his own transition into the day. I love it, especially since Tyler was never a cuddly baby.

He soon whispers he needs to go potty, and takes himself to the bathroom. I don't need to help him at all anymore, so I don't bother to help him, and about 2 minutes later he comes shuffling out to the living room with his pajamas around his ankles because they got all twisted up. We get that fixed, and I go about my business. He's happy, I'm happy, and it's a start of a great day!

Right before I leave for work, I go into the bathroom to find.....

THE TOILET SEAT IS UP!

I think I'm really starting to realize that I'm outnumbered here. 3 boys vs. me in the house - and it's only the beginning!

1 comment:

K'man said...

Who sets the example? If you and Kyle leave the lid up, he will think it is OK to leave the seat up.
Start behavior modification with all your guys, put the seat down and close the lid!