Monday, February 4, 2008

When did we become such wimps?

Okay - so it's February in Iowa, and it snowed. All of the schools are either cancelled or delayed. Will someone PLEASE explain this to me??? As soon as I saw it start snowing yesterday around 3pm, that's the first thought that entered my mind - schools are going to be closed. It had stopped snowing by 7pm, which would give the road crews a good 12 hours to plow - but not in our town. The first plow didn't venture down our street until after 6am today, leaving the snow to get good and packed down for 11 hours before attempting anything.

So our daycare has a rule that if the major schools 30 miles to the north of us, and just 10 miles south are BOTH closed, then they will be closed. Today, just the schools to the south were closed. So, both kids are up at the butt-crack of dawn - so off to daycare we go.

You can imagine my excitement as I rounded the corner to daycare, to see a completely dark facility. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!! They made a judgement call this morning and closed, for the "safety of their staff and their families". Okay - not only does that NOT make me safer, but it pisses me off! Since I will still have 12 hours or work to do today, whether I go in or not, that means I'm going to try to make arrangements to go in later when Kyle gets home, and then I'll be working late tonight - driving home in what will likely then be, freezing rain. Yippey! I can hardly wait!

As a child, I think I remember missing maybe 2 or 3 days a season due to weather. Now they miss 2 to 3 days a month. Aren't buses safer now - aren't cars safer? Heck - we ever wear seatbelts now! And when they do cancel schools, where do all the kids go? To the mall! I guarantee they aren't walking there! I remember missing a day in high school and we all piled into my boyfriend's car and ran all over town - and had a blast! We didn't care that the roads were bad - we were 17!

So, here I sit. 8am on Monday, 86 unread e-mails at work, a project that was due last Friday that isn't done, and a 4 hour meeting this afternoon to cram for a presentation we give next Tuesday, and I'm watching "Little Einsteins" while Tyler tears apart the living room and Connor is growling in his Jumperoo. They have another beautiful storm forecasted to start Tuesday night, so they might as well cancel schools now.

Hey- maybe in the middle of June when the kids are still in school, I'll take the nicest day off of work, and drive by the schools honking and waving my arms! "Ha! Ha! I don't have to work! NA NA NA NA BOO BOO!" Just to get even!

1 comment:

K'man said...

what a rant! get control of yourself.