Saturday, February 23, 2008

Daddy's Gang


It took quite a long time to get here. A L.O.N.G time. I have to say this, but my husband is pretty awesome. Okay - he has his momemts where I would rather kick him in the groin than deal with him, but those moments are becoming so few and far between.
Slowly and slowly over the last couple of months, I've noticed such a change in Kyle. I think he actually feels connected with Tyler - and Tyler prefers Kyle. Which is why Friday morning was so much fun.

I was awoken at 4:30 by my alarm clock, Connor. I got him back to sleep - took shower and at 5:15, Tyler came in to the bathroom. Excellent - he needs to pee. Tyler pees, and I start marching him back to bed. "NNNOOOOOOOOOO", he howls! "I wanna watch a show!". Are you KIDDING me? It's 5:15am!!! This boy needs at least another hour of sleep - if not two in order to function today. Okay, lose that battle so we don't wake up the rest of the house or neighborhood, and put on show for him and finish getting ready.

Cue Circus.

I go back to the bathroom to get dressed, start putting on make-up.
Hear things falling on the kitchen floor.
Enter kitchen - find Tyler with leftover macaroni & cheese and peas that he wants to breakfast. Fridge door open, things on the floor.
Heat up dinner for breakfast.
Give Tyler his food.
Go back to the bathroom, finish make-up.
Hear things falling on the kitchen floor.
Enter kitchen - find Tyler carrying 4 apples that he wants for breakfast.
Try to reason with Tyler
Lose battle, again- let him bring 4 apples in to the living room.
Go back to bathroom, try to dry hair.
Tyler comes in to bathroom, wants to watch Chicken Little.
Go back to living room, put on Chicken Little.
Back to bathroom, finish hair.
Decide since Tyler is up so early, I'll just take him to daycare.
Cue Meltdown.

Holy Lord! You would've thought I was trying to take blood from this kid. He was crying, kicking, screaming, spitting and anything else he could do to no-so-politely tell me that he DID NOT want to get ready for daycare. I fight him, I wrestle him, at one point I have him pinned down and I'm trying to jam his shoes on his feet. Now I'm sweating, he's crying, and it's 6:20.

Tyler is crying and sobbing, and wants his dad. Daddy takes Tyler and Connor to daycare 99% of the time, so that is what Tyler prefers. Daddy is fun, and daddy is cool.

I lose it - and give up. Tyler has kicked his shoes off for the second time, so I have H.A.D. I.T. I carry him to our bedroom and give him to Kyle, who is just about to get out of bed. Tyler gets in bed with Kyle and immediately calms down, cuddles up to Kyle, and I leave for work.

Kyle called me later and lets me know Tyler was absolutely PERFECT after I left. PERFECT. Thanks. I was beginning to think I was a decendent of the devil or something the way Tyler treated me, but for daddy, he was fine. He is perfect for Kyle every morning. And Kyle loves being able to be the "preferred" parent in the morning, and so do I. I have to be out the door pretty early, so I usually don't even see Tyler in the morning, which is probably why he was so pissed when I was messing with him that morning.

As the boys get older and older, they are becoming the cutest little "gang". Tyler pretty much goes everywhere Kyle does, where he can. They go to the hardware store, grocery store, the mall, Kyle's work, etc. Everywhere they can together.

I spent months bonding with my boys, nursing them and sitting with them in the rocking chair until I could've sworn it was literally growing out of my back, so to see this now happening with the boys' relationship is so fulfilling.

Kyle is experiencing the same love and joy that I've always known.

No comments: