Tuesday, May 6, 2008

First Birthdays - Then and Now

Approximately 364 days before Tyler's first birthday, I started planning it. I think I invited everyone we knew - literally. Every friend, every co-worker, every neighbor. It was crazy! I bought him a personalized "I am One" t-shirt off the internet, that had his name across the back. I had everything planned - down to the tee. Printed out pictures and hand-made all of my invitations, and sent them out approximately 6 weeks before the party. I think I took about 100 pictures in order to find the "just right" one for the invitations.

The party was a hit - tons of people, tons of kids, and I think everyone had a good time. Come on - who wouldn't have a good time - all the cake you could eat and beer you could drink! My idea of a good time! (No- we didn't give beer to the kids - at least on purpose!)

Fast forward to today... Connor's first birthday party is Saturday. We have invited family. My parents, sister and her family, and Kyle's parents and siblings. As far as a "theme" goes, I picked up some frog invitations at Wal-Mart during a shopping escapade - thus a frog theme for the party. Connor doesn't have a thing for frogs, but I think they're cute.

So, it's Tuesday night. We haven't ordered a cake. We haven't bought any food for the party. I decided against party favors for the kids today. Seriously - who needs a bag full of candy to take home. I did go to Factory Card Outlet today and picked up some tableclothes and silverware, and also a Happy Birthday sign to hang outside. I don't want Connor to feel totally slighted being the second child. Honestly - he won't remember any of it, only pictures will remain as proof of this obvious favoritism we have shown towards Tyler! (I actually worry about that - will Connor ever think that!?)

Tyler is now planning his next birthday, which is about 5 months away. As of yesterday, he was going to have a Pirate and Hawkeye birthday party. Obviously, if we placed as much emphasis on the birthday parties that they will remember, won't that be so much more fun?

No comments: