Thursday, May 1, 2008

I did it!

I'm not much of a bragger (okay, maybe sometimes I am), but think I owe it to myself to brag this time. I did it! I actually did it! And it was wonderful!

If we could compare this to anything, I won the Masters. I was Miss America. I had won the lottery! It was awesome!

I had been nominated to host our Annual Supplier Conference back in October, and it took 6 months to pull off, but I did it - and the best part of it- I actually spoke in front of 500 people! That was the most nerve-wracking part of it all.

If actually given the choice, and this was Fear Factor - and they asked me if I wanted to speak in front of a crowd of people or lay in a pool of spiders, I would actually have to think about it. Seriously. I hate talking in front of people - for the first 2 minutes. After that - I could speak all day. And I made it through the first 2 minutes!!!

Okay, I'm actually just so proud of myself, for once. I have busted my butt to get to where I am, and yesterday I was introducing Vice Presidents of our company, and they knew who I was. I was actually complimented by one, he remembered me from years ago when he was my Vice President. Again, it was awesome.

I actually felt so lucky today. Everyone was telling me "You did a great job!", and although I could feel every quiver in my voice, and every pound of my heart, they said they couldn't tell. Maybe they were just being nice, but it made me feel great! Maybe I was good?

A few years ago, I attended a "Women in Business" event at the University of Iowa. At that seminar, they had a Vice President of Kimberly-Clark there. She was incredible - so poised, so sharp, and so put-together. She spoke to us about women in the businessworld, and as a token, she gave us a keychain that I have on my keychain to this day. It says:

"The Harder You Work, The Luckier You Get"

I look at that every day as I'm walking in to work. It's so true. I have worked so hard to get to where I am, and yesterday and today, I felt like the luckiest person in the world!

No comments: