Thursday, May 8, 2008

School Lunch

Dozens of white bench-style tables, all lined up in the school gym. The familiar smell of gym shoes, and the climbing rope suspended from the ceiling. The plastic, pastel-colored trays with the various "sections" to put food in, including the square that your milk just perfectly fit. I also remember that on pizza day, the rectangular-style piece of pizza fit just perfectly into the "main food" section of the tray.

That is what I remember about school lunches. I also remember on Valentine's Day one year, a girl one year below me, puking up what seemed like gallons of vomit during lunch - and it was pink - how ironic. We all moved as far away as we could, but continued to eat our lunch. But - that is neither here nor there.

I have very fond memories of school lunch. I'm not sure why - maybe because I have always liked to eat. Food doesn't give me a high or anything, and I'm not obese, but I love my meals. I don't think I've skipped one in my life, except by accident. I religiously ate breakfast, even though college, when my friends were eating their first meal at 2 in the afternoon.

I remember the days when you could have your parents visit and eat lunch with you. I loved those days. I was so proud when I could show my mom or dad where I ate my lunch, and how to "do it". (Being the bossy person I am...), "You go through the lunch line, this lady punches your ticket, this lady gives you your food, etc....."

Today, Tyler's daycare had a Mother's Day Lunch for all the Moms. We were to bring lunch for our kids, and we could eat outside and have a picnic. Last year I was unable to attend, because we were at the hospital getting all sorts of bloodwork done because I was having my c-section the next day to have Connor. Tyler was without a mom, but I'm not sure he even cared. This year, he had been talking about it for days. "Are you going to come eat lunch with me? Are we going to have a pic-um-ic?"

As I mentioned before, I'm not much of a planner. I opened the fridge this morning and figured he could either have an empty burrito, or some cheese on a slice of bread. So - fast food it would be.

I left work - grabbed some Steak and Shake, and then headed to daycare. On my way over there, I got a glimpse of myself in the rearview mirror..........It was me he was waiting for. It was me he was so excited to see so he could show me his daycare friends, his teachers, and his cute Mother's Day project he made just for me. Just like when I was little - he was so excited to see me.

It was then - that I realized that I was the most important person in the world that this little boy right now. And that, was the Happiest Mother's Day gift I could have had!

1 comment:

K'man said...

awww... how touching.
You don't think he was waiting for Steak & Shake Fries?