Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Fun Man

Last night I felt sorry for Connor. He had 4 shots at his doctor appointment that day, plus blood taken out of his finger, and the doctor pointed out that his molars are coming in - which explains the miserable baby that gags himself with his fingers. He's just plain sore. As bedtime approached last night, I decided to actually rock him to sleep just for that extra couple minutes of comfort that he likely needed. As I'm sitting in his room, I hear the front door open. "Uh oh", is my first thought. "Tyler has figured out how to open the front door!".
As I've posted before, I pity the person that has to get out of our house if there is a fire, because you cannot. We basically go into lockdown when we are in the house, because Tyler is an escape artist, and until yesterday, had not mastered any of the baby-proof door handles. (Heck- my parents can't even figure these things out!) Life is now over.

I quickly go to the front door, which is open, and see Tyler running down the sidewalk, across the street, with the neighbor chasing him. Our neighbor, Ron, was watching TV in his living room and noticed Tyler running around outside. That, in and of itself wouldn't surprise anyone, but because Tyler was ONLY WEARING A T-SHIRT AND UNDERWEAR!, Ron became concerned and came outside to help.

Luckily, I got Tyler in the house without much trouble, but much to my embarrassement. "What kind of a mother do they think I am?", I wondered all night. They either see me chasing Tyler out of the street, my son running around with half his clothes on, or throwing dirt clods into the street. We are classy neighbors.

I thought it couldn't get better after last Friday night....

I'm getting both boys out of the bathtub because they actually took a bath at the same time. I'm getting Connor dried off and the bathroom wiped down from its "bath" it also received during this time. It's then that I hear a familiar voice in the kitchen.... I could hear Mike, our neighbor and good friend. I knew Kyle wasn't home because he was working, so I wondered what Mike could be doing.

I walk into the kitchen and greet him - "What's up Mike?", I say with a smile on my face. Mike can hardly hold back the tears as he is laughing so hard.

"I just found Tyler running down the sidewalk, naked!" Mike told me.

Mike was rounding the corner on his way home from work, and sure enough, I hadn't put the stick in the backdoor which keeps it closed from the outside so Tyler can't get out. While I was cleaning up the bathroom, Tyler had snuck out, COMPLETELY NAKED. Running around-our neighborhood.

Last weekend as we were sitting with friends, Tyler ripped out his shirt and loudly proclaimed "I'M A FUN MAN!". What a proud mother I was at that moment... I have myself a stripper and a streaker.

When our neighbors think of us, I'm sure the first word that comes to their mind is class, I tell you, pure class.

1 comment:

loren said...

Well, you're in classy company, for sure!

I dread the day the girls figure out the lock on the front door and what it means.