Wednesday, January 9, 2008

How fast they grow up...

Tyler moved into the "Red Room" at daycare last Thursday. His first official day in the "3-year-old" room. Tyler has always been much bigger than the other kids, and always seemed "ready" to move up to the next room long before the other kids. (He's a bit like his father in that he just craves socialization and people that are constantly moving and talking!) This time though, he's seemed a little more reluctant. Almost like he knows he's growing up, and that he's not "a baby" anymore.

Flashback to January 2005. Tyler's first day at daycare. I didn't even bring him, because I knew I would just cry. I don't think I brought him for the first week, and due to my husband's schedule - I believe he picked him up every day that week as well. When I had to start making my regular trips to daycare, I looked at the kids in the first room (the room that Tyler just graduated from last week), and they looked SO old - they were almost 3! My child will NEVER be 3, I thought! Now he's in the room PAST that one, and his next room after this is the Preschool room - his last step before kindergarten. Holy Cow - what happened to my baby?

Then, I pick Connor up yesterday, and talk to the teacher in his room. They have the infant room split up into two "sides" basically, the crawlers and non-crawlers. Connor isn't quite crawling yet (almost!), but has been moved over to the "big kid" side because he loves to watch the bigger kids. He's eating food in a high chair now, and can feed himself (and loves it!).

Sometimes I wonder what has happened to our time. It's like it just vanishes. I used to love to go to bed early, but anymore, I find myself wanting to stay up later and later, almost as if to suck every minute out of the day that I can. As for the kids, every day it's something totally new. Connor will be crawling any day now, and is perfecting his "da da da" phrase every day. Tyler, Holy Cow! I can have an entire conversation with that kid like he's my best friend, with a few random thoughts thrown in every once in a while. Here's a snippit of our conversation we had on the way home from daycare tonight:

Me: "Tyler, isn't the sky pretty?" (It was a beautiful pink and orange sunset)

Tyler: "No, it's scarey. It's bery bery bery bery bery bery bery bad. It's gonna rain."

Me (puzzled): "Why is it bad, and why do you think it's going to rain?"

Tyler: "See the clouds?" (there were some clouds) "It's gonna rain, and the guy is going to be up there, and I'll go up there and burn my legs."

Me: "What?????? How are you going to burn your legs?"

Tyler: "Because, I'll go up there because there are gumballs up there, and I'll get one so I can eat it."

Yep, so we can have an entire conversation. A quite interesting conversation if you ask me! I really miss the baby stage sometimes, but conversations like this take the cake!!!

No comments: