Thursday, January 17, 2008

My Superpowers!

Ever since becoming a mom, I swear at times that I'm a Superhero. Not a "put on a cape because I'm so great" superhero, but because I have super powers.

I think all moms would know what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the being able to hear your child if there would be a tornado going through your house, being able to almost physically feel their pain, and your ability to pick up a 50 pound child and literally throw them over your shoulder like they are a sack of potatoes - kind of powers.

The other night, I was awoken quickly at 3am - my senses immediately went in to "Super Mode", and I froze. I lie there motionless, holding my breath, trying to figure out what it is. At first I thought Connor had woken up and made a noise, but no, he was still asleep. It took me about 5 seconds to realize that I didn't feel right. The temperature in our room was a little too cold.

For the last few weeks we have been having problems with our furnace. Nothing huge, just the ignitor was going on the fritz, and had to sometimes be wiggled in order to get the gas to kick on. The furnace itself would run, but not make any heat. It was a quick fix, and although we knew we would have it to get it fixed eventually, we kind of just dealt with it. That night, I was startled awake because there was a 3 degree difference in our house. Something I probably would've just slept through 5 years ago. (We got the furnace fixed yesterday by the way).

Sitting here in the living room at night, I can hear if Tyler gets out of his bed. Kyle never hears anything, and usually thinks I'm crazy, until he sees Tyler coming around the corner.

I've walked into daycare at night to pick up Tyler or Connor, and could hear them crying. There could be 100 kids there making all sorts of noise, but I could pick their cry out in the middle of all that, from the front door - when their room was the farthest from that door.

Another cool mom superpower I've developed is multi-tasking. I hate to brag, but sometimes I almost impress myself with how much I can be doing at one time. (ha ha) Tonight it was: Give Connor a bath in the sink, wash the pans from dinner in the other side of the sink, prepare Tyler's meals for tomorrow, clean up the kitchen from dinner, towel off the entire floor on my hands and knees, talk to Tyler, all while doing 2 loads of laundry. Impressive - I know.

And smell - holy cow smell. I can smell a poopy diaper from a mile away, and what's even more disgusting, I know what I'm going to be surprised with before I even open the diaper. Will it be tolerable, or will it be yucky, gusy, musy poop? I can tell by the smell. I can also tell if Connor is sick by the way he smells. When he's sick, it's like his body just radiates of "sick" - like when you're sick and you just sweat it out at night. Yep, like that. Very yucky to have a 8 month old that has BO.

I think one of the best Super Powers that moms get blessed with is the ability to love and forgive. Even these beautiful children you have sometimes push you to your absolute limit - when you think you are going to go stark raving mad, rip your hair out and move to France. But, you don't. You actually forget about it. Gosh, I've had days with Tyler that have reduced me to tears, where I wanted to put him in a UPS box and ship him anywhere. Anywhere but here. But the day ends, and a new day begins, and you forget all about that. And oddly enough, you love them even more the next day.

Tonight, it took 2 of us to get Tyler though his bath and into his pajamas. At one point, Kyle had him suspended in the air while I attempted to get his pajamas on him feet first, without getting kicked. (Imagine trying to get an octopus in a onesie - another superpower!) He was SO tired. He was kicking and spitting and crying, it was so frustrating, but so sad, because I knew he couldn't control it. And while you're in the middle of it you think you're about to lose your mind - but you don't. You get through it, and even become a stronger person because of it.

These Super Powers are pretty cool, I must admit. I used to think my mom had eyes in the back of her head, because she ALWAYS knew what we were doing. She actually didn't (thank god), but she just had these powers.

So that's why I always got busted sneaking home at 12:10am in high school!

No comments: