Monday, January 12, 2009

And then I became one of them

A picture from last winter, which is still fresh in everyone's minds...

Actual words/phrases I heard uttered on the weather report this morning:

  1. Blizzard Warning
  2. Inches of Snow
  3. Below Zero
  4. Winter Weather Warning
  5. Wind Chill Advisory

Apparently, so did everyone else. The city almost shut down - they closed schools and cancelled events. People left work like rats jumping off a sinking ship. Finally at 3:30, I decided if it was really THAT bad, I should head home myself.

I called Kyle on my way. He suggested spaghetti for supper, but we didn't have any ground beef. I volunteered to stop at the store at grab some.

I was quickly pissed. The roads were absolutely FINE. Seriously, the roads were worse than that about 3 times last week, and all weekend. I know they were preparing for the blizzard that our stellar weatherman was forecasting for the next two days (that has since changed to 9 hours), but seriously people. This is IOWA, it snows!

I stop at the grocery store in town, and quickly am reminded that everyone else was going to be there as well. We were getting 2 inches of snow, what else should we do but stock up on everything like milk, bread and birdseed. Yes, people were buying birdseed, because that is just how nice we are in this town!

I fought my way through the parking lot, and parked about 1/2 mile away. I ended up getting what I needed, and luckily every cash register was open so I could get in and get out, to walk the half milk back to my car.

I quickly realized that I had become one of those people that drive me crazy. Those people that just HAVE to go to the store when they forecast some drizzle or light snow, just in case we're housebound for a week or so, clearing the shelves of bread, milk and water.

Seriously people - this is 2009. The next time we need something from the grocery store on a day like today, we're just going to have to do with ramen noodles!

1 comment:

loren said...

Yes, you DID become one of them! LOL

I always end up needing to go to the store when A) everyone's panicking because of an encroaching storm, or B) it's a flippin' holiday like MLK Day and everything's closed. That's when I go "WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"