Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Getting Home

After getting home tonight and going through out normal "routine" that we've had lately, I've decided we need to do something different. It's totally insane.

Since Kyle usually takes the boys to daycare, I try to usually pick them up. (I mean - someone picks them up - hopefully it's me), and we head home. Start insanity here.

Since the boys have been at daycare all day with their last snack at 3pm, and it's usually 5:30 by the time I get them, they are absolutely STARVING by the time we get home, because my boys do not frequently go more than 2 hours from eating anything. They are human garbage disposals.

We arrive in the door, and my rules are 1) shoes off, and 2) wash your hands (daycare germs, eech!). Then you're free to go. Usually, by that time someone is trying to pull himself up onto the counter to find some candy/gum/food/lint/anything he can fit into his mouth. The other has learned to open the freezer (even though I have it locked), and will bring me frozen peas, frozen juice or even ice cubes that he can eat.

Keep in mind, at this point, my shoes are usually still on, and I'm in my work clothes that aren't that special, but I'd like to keep them at least semi-stain free. Now, I'm trying to find something to cook.

On to the next problem - I don't cook. Well, I can, but I HATE it. If I can put it in a microwave and forget about it - I am ALL for that. The quicker the better, and the easier the clean-up the better. And NOTHING is worse than trying to make food with a crying kid hanging on your leg. Not for me.

After eating, it's right to the bathtub, or I should better call it - the monsoon in our bathroom. At least I don't have to clean the bathroom floor often, but because of this, we have had to replace our kitchen floor - twice (on the other side of the bathroom wall). No matter what you try to do to protect it, water gets everywhere - and usually on me. Hopefully I've changed out of my workclothes at this point.

I have to be more proactive, and make stuff on the weekends for use throughout the week, etc., etc., I know all this - but it's just so hard. By the time 7pm rolls around and Connor is heading off to bed, I have rarely sat down yet, and if I'm lucky, I've possibly had something to eat myself. It's exhausting.

Tonight was special though. I walked in the door, and Kyle had dinner finished. He had made tuna casserole - a family favorite - and even had the boy's food dished out for them in plates. They walked in, washed their hands, sat down and ate. It was wonderful! Connor had 3 helpings, and Tyler had 2 (Connor has been outeating Tyler lately!), and I got to eat supper with everyone else. We had a great night, everyone (including Tyler - who can make or break a night) was perfect! Hopefully we're on a new streak here!

1 comment:

loren said...

Awesome! What a great surprise. I wish Mike would take some initiative to cook, especially since I spend an hour every night making food that he's just going to shovel down like, well... a human garbage disposal! :) Apparently they don't grow out of it.