Sunday, January 4, 2009

Tyler


"Tyler!", I yelled, "Come back here!"

We were in the checkout line at Wal-Mart, and I had sent Tyler to go get some paper plates that were within eyesight. I figured I could trust him walking 20 feet without me within arms length.

"Tyler, Tyler!" I yelled to get his attention, because his goal of getting paper plates was put on hold when he saw the big cooler of pop on his way there. "Mom, I want a Diet Pepsi!", he said. Of course, I thought to myself, just what he needs, a bottle of caffeine!

"Get the plates, the plates, the plates, Tyler, Tyler..." I must've sounded ridiculous.

"It's the name," said a voice from behind me. It was a lady, in her mid to late 50s. "It's the name, Tyler. Mine is 25 and still listens just as well!", she said with a smile. I laughed back with her, because this wasn't the first time I had heard this.

I think about six or seven different times throughout Tyler's life I've had different people comment to me on the name, Tyler. The names brings with it many challenges and joy. Most of all, I was told if you have a boy named Tyler, be ready for everything that name has to bring.

I've learned that most people with the name Tyler have an iron will, and are very determined to get what they set out for. There is little patience, and listening to what YOU tell them to do - they are going to listen to only themselves. When they set out to do something, they will usually get it, because their determination and "never give up" attitude will not let them.

This is Tyler. My Tyler. The little boy that will absolutely drive me to the brink of insanity, but also makes you love him that much more when he does cuddle with you - because you know that isn't usually him. When he does want to cuddle, you suck in every minute of it because it comes so infrequent.

Now he's trained his brother. One of Connor's first phrases is "No, No, Ty-wah!". Very fitting if you ask me.

I cannot wait to see what Tyler turns out to be when he gets older, based on all of the qualities that he has crammed into that 4-year-old body. I'm pretty sure, he will be unstoppable.

No comments: