Thursday, January 22, 2009

When Procrastinating DOES NOT Pay Off!!!

On my way home tonight, I'm moving along the interstate at about 80 mph. (Hey, it's the first time I've seen dry cemet in a LONG time!) I notice that coming out of a rest stop is a State Trooper. Knowing that I could either continue south on I-380, or hop off at the next exit and take the highway to daycare, I opted for the highway - thinking the trooper would certainly continue south on the interstate. (Who else HATES to drive in traffic that is moving at 65 mph just because a Trooper is within sight!)

Nope, he follows me off the ramp, then turns right, following me again. Then he flips his lights on.

Right away, I know what he's found. HOLY CCCRRRAAAPPP! I FORGOT TO RENEW THE TAGS ON MY CAR! Seriously, I had COMPLETELY forgotten about it. I went there sometime late last year (for some reason, I refuse to mail in the envelope that they send me in AUGUST - and instead, procrastinate until my tags are usually either nearly expired, or just past). This year, I went there and they were closed - for whatever reason, probably Sweetheart Day, or whatever other excuse the government could find to close their offices that day.

I just remembered this as I sit on the shoulder of the road, with the officer walking up behind me. He was a nice looking young guy, and asked for my license, registration and proof of insurance.

"You know your tags are expired, Ma'am?"

"YES, YES I DO!", I practically yelled back at him. "I'm so sorry - I know!"

"Well, we usually, er, um, tow the car that has an expired tag", he says...

I pull my proof of insurance card out of my wallet. IT WAS GOOD THROUGH 1/12/09!!!!! SERIOUSLY!!!

I look at it, and almost have a freaking panic attack in my car. My hand is shaking as I hand it to him.

"My new card is sitting on the counter at home! This just expired."

I'm done for.... they are going to tow my car, I'm going to have to call Kyle to come pick me up - unless they decide to throw me in jail.... My thoughts were racing.

He walked back to his car, and took, what seemed like, an eternity! He came back with a few sheets of paper.

"Here is a warning for your proof of insurance," he says, "that is usually a $300 ticket. And this..." (he hands me another sheet of paper), "is a ticket for having expired tags. You have to pay $89 by February 25th. You will take care of this as soon as possible, right?"

"Yes, Yes, I am SO sorry!" I tell him.

He has me sign the ticket, and sends me on my way. I think I told him "Thank You!" about 3 times. I have never been so thankful to receive a ticket in my life. He could've ruined my week and life right now, but he didn't. Thank you Officer!

And Dad, I already have my new proof of insurance in my wallet, and will be heading to the Administration Building tomorrow. Next year, I will just mail in my stuff to have the tags returned to me, before they expire!

1 comment:

loren said...

I am perhaps the worst at getting my registration renewed. I also do not send my registration in. And it's no motivation that last year, we were 2-3 months late getting the Suburban renewed and instead of having to pay $450, we only had to pay the next year's price of $230. Hmmmm... I guess that's when procrastination DOES pay off.