Monday, December 24, 2007

'Tis the Season


Christmas Eve, 2007. Santa came to our house this morning, and tonight to my in-laws. Tomorrow to my parents in the Quad Cities. Tyler is wound tight as a top, and guess what, Connor is sick. Imagine that. His fever this morning was 100.5 - not too high, but enough to make for a VERY cranky baby.


The holidays so far have gone well, but I feel like I'm missing out now. I literally only bought on present at "the mall" - it was a purse for my sister at Von Maur, so I didn't even have to physically enter the mall. The rest of everything was bought at Wal-Mart, Target or on-line (most!), which is awesome, but kind of leaves me feeling like I missed out on something. I always do at least one mall shopping trip a year, but didn't do that this year at all. Maybe I'm just missing out on the crowds, hot stores, cranky people and long lines...


I missed out on Christmas cookies this year as well. The only kind I bought were the Pillsbury ones from the store - that have the pictures of the reindeer in them that you literally slide out of the bag, and place on your cookie sheet. Ta Da! Cookies for Santa, which he liked. And the reindeer got some cheese (Tyler's choosing).


Maybe it just felt like the holidays vanished this year. I drug my Christmas stuff out the day after Thanksgiving, and put as much of it out as I could (that could be positioned more than 4 feet off the floor). We did only have 2 broken Christmas ornaments this year, and one broken candle. Not too bad for the football games that take place in this house.


It never ceases to amaze me how fast life goes now. Especially at the holidays. I have to remember, while trying to make all the memories for the kids just perfect, that no matter how things go, there will be memories. I have such great memories from Christmas as a child - at home and at my Grandma's house. I bet my parents felt rushed as well, but they never let on.


Santa must've heard Tyler when he asked for "John Deere's" for Christmas! He scored big time!

No comments: